On Wednesday, Oct. 28, FIU will host a record-making attempt at the World’s Largest Quinoa Salad. Officials from Guinness World Records will be on hand to verify what is expected to be a single platter of quinoa salad weighing in at more than 1,300 lbs. If you aren’t able to make it to this event in person to get a taste of the salad, here’s the recipe that was created for the event by FIU Stempel College’s Dietetics & Nutrition team.
For a large, Guinness World Record setting crowd…
- Cooked quinoa 545 kg / 1201.5 lbs.
- Red bell peppers 21 kg / 46.3 lbs.
- Black olives 21 kg / 46.3 lbs.
- Black raisins 21 kg / 46.3 lbs.
For the dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil 64 liters /16.9 gal.
- White vinegar 57 liters / 15.1 gal.
- Salt 4.5 kg / 9.9 lbs.
- Oregano 0.72 kg / 1.6 lbs.
…or for a 1-serving portion (6.5oz=184g)
- Uncooked quinoa 1/3 cup 62.1g*
- Red bell peppers 3 teaspoons 5.27 g
- Black olives 2 teaspoons 5.27 g
- Black raisins 1 teaspoon 5.27 g
For the dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil 1 ½ tablespoons / 17.75 mL
- White vinegar 1 tablespoon / 14.31 mL
- Salt ½ teaspoon / 1.13g
- Oregano sprinkled /0.18g
* 1/3 uncooked quinoa (62.1g) = 136.6g of cooked quinoa.
- Measure 1/3 cup of uncooked quinoa and wash it thoroughly (about 3 times).
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to boil, or until quinoa is covered.
- Add the quinoa to the boiling water and cook until the quinoa feels al dente – about 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool down before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop the red bell peppers in brunoises (diced) and slice the olives.
- Once quinoa is cool, mix the bell peppers, olives and raisins in a bowl. Add the dressing.
For the dressing:
- Dissolve the salt in the white vinegar.
- Add the olive oil and mix. Pour it onto the salad and mix well.
- Add the oregano.
Nutrients per serving: Calories 399.6 kcal
Fat 20.7 g Saturated Fat 2.8 g Trans Fat 0.0 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium 488.5 mg Potassium 403.4 mg Carbohydrate 44.8 g Fiber 4.8 g Sugar 3.4 g Protein 9.0 g Vitamin A (RAE) 10.1 Vitamin C 6.9 mg Calcium 41.0 mg Iron 3.3 mg Vitamin D 0.0 ug Vitamin E 2.7 mg Thiamin 0.2 mg Riboflavin 0.2 mg Niacin 2.8 mg Folate 117.4 mg Vitamin B6 0.3 mg Vitamin B12 0.0 ug