Featured

Dean Guilarte Honored by Rep. Mucarsel-Powell During Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration

Stempel College Dean Tomás R. Guilarte has been honored by U.S. Representative Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, Florida district 26, as part of an event hosted by the congresswoman for Hispanic Heritage Month.

Guilarte was recognized as a leading educator who is committed to furthering research and science education among Hispanics.

“It is a tremendous honor to be acknowledged by our District Congressional Representative Debbie Mucarsel-Powell for my work as an educator in South Florida,” said Guilarte. “As a dean, I believe that all educators have a duty to our students to be role models and help future generations succeed. That is why I am thrilled to be at FIU, an institution with a clear vision that looks to educate students so that they can reach their fullest potential while promoting a sense of community that welcomes students from all backgrounds and cultures.”

Additional honorees included Maria I. Nardi, director of the Miami Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department; Christina M. Campos, Community Liaison Specialist for Homestead Senior High School; Jhon and Sandra Ospina, owners of Mekatos Bakery; and the Homestead-Miami Mariachi Conservatory.