Featured

How a degree at Stempel College helped me land a job as a research analyst

In August 2020, Olusanya Joshua Oluwole graduated from the Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work with a master's degree in Public Health, focusing on Biostatistics . Today, he's working as a research analyst at the University of Miami. Oluwole shared how his Biostatistics studies helped him get to where he is today.

Olusanya Joshua Oluwole taking notes during a Biostatistics class

Name: Olusanya Joshua Oluwole
Hometown: Igbemo Ekiti, Nigeria
Degree/major: Master's degree in Public Health, focusing on Biostatistics

Where are you working? I am working at the University of Miami as a research analyst overseeing our data collection program. I am currently working with a professor who is interested in research in tobacco and e-cigarettes use.

In my current role, I manage data for clinical trials and other clinical research. So that means that once data is collected, I analyze, interpret it and then report findings to my team. I am also involved in manuscripts writing and publications.

How did you get this position?I got this job while I was doing my practicum. Dr. Zoran Bursac , professor and chair of Biostatistics at Stempel College, shared that there was someone at the university looking for a person who could help her analyze some data. Dr. Bursac shared where I could apply. I applied, interviewed, and the rest is history.

What was your greatest fear going into this job, and how did you face it or overcome it?
I had just graduated from Stempel College and I wasn't sure how much I had learned until I started working. I was like, am I going to be able to do this job? When I began the work, I started to see that a lot of what I was doing was what I learned in school. FIU gave me the tools needed to do what I do today. Now, I'm stable at work and can do my job without problem.What surprised you the most about your job?
How many new things I am learning. Going in, I thought it was going to be doing basic biostatistics that I had learned in school. But when I came in, I saw that I had to do a lot of advanced things like metanalysis and learn how to use certain databases that were new to me.

What advice do you have for those beginning the job search process?
The most important thing is to network with people that are already in the field. If they know your ability, they can help you and connect you with someone who may need your support. Networking is very important because that's what worked for me. You have to have a good relationship with people. When I was in school, I had a good relationship with my professors. In short: build relationships and network. Tell people what you are looking for and tell them what you want, so people can be there ready to help you.

What does a day on the job look like?It's usually 9-5 but if I have something pressing, and because I like the work that I do, I may work for a longer period of time. Right now I am working remotely the majority of the time, so I may spend some time catching up with my peers, having meetings, or working on projects.

How does your job connect back to your coursework?
Very connected. That was one of the things that I had in mind. I didn't want to just take a job where I'm not practicing the work that I learned in school. Analyzing the data, interpreting the data, writing and publishing are all skills I learned while at Stempel College. I use these at work every day.

How was your transition from school to work?
It wasn't that difficult to transition. Although the topic I am focusing on is different, the process for doing the work is still similar.

What's been the coolest thing about your job so far?
The relationship that I have with my colleagues. Definitely the coolest thing.

Did you have any mentors that helped you get to where you are today?
Dr. Bursac was a great guide. I was working as a graduate assistant while at Stempel College, and he was very helpful in giving me projects and opportunities. He encouraged me to try things on my own and if I made a mistake, he'd help me out. He's a great person.

To learn more about a degree in biostatistics, go here .